Benefits of use as a clinician - UCS – use in your “Anti-Biofilm” strategy
What is a biofilm & why does it delay wound healing?
Many bacteria like a warm moist environment to multiply and they prefer to attach to a surface. Biofilm is a build-up of bacteria clinging to a surface, which can prove difficult to remove. If left unchecked, biofilm can encourage deterioration of the surface they are attached to (often the wound bed/wound edge).
Dental plaque is a well-known form of biofilm, which requires removal by use of regular debridement (brushing with toothbrush) with a cleaning agent (toothpaste). The toothpaste leaves a film that delays reformation of the bacteria. Biofilm in wounds act like dental plaque – they can cause problems if left unattended and are a major cause in delayed wound healing.
UCS can disrupt and remove biofilms
Use an “Anti-biofilm” strategy in wound care to reduce wound biofilms. Utilise UCS (unique cleaning system), to effectively polish away the wound biofilm. The pre-moistened cloth offers a deep clean, captures and lifts bacteria and devitalised tissue, leaving the skin feeling soothed. The surfactant ingredient leaves a residue which resists biofilms reforming.
Water alone is not sufficient in an effective “Anti-biofilm” strategy.
What is a surfactant and how does it work?
A key ingredient in the UCS cloth is the surfactant = a surface acting agent. The surfactant enables gentle capture of bacteria and devitalised tissue into the cloth from the wound surface/skin which can then safely be removed. UCS cleanses the skin and leaves a residue of surfactant which reduces biofilm reformation. The surfactant used in UCS encourages healthy cell regeneration.
Surfactants help to reduce the speed of biofilms reforming. This key ingredient is different to other forms of debridement available – without it, bacteria will continue to multiply faster and cause increased skin deterioration.
Use UCS to achieve your TIMES objectives
- T - Tissue - UCS = Loop fibre technology disrupts, traps & lifts away slough.
- I - Infection / Inflammation - UCS = Poloxamer 188 aids biofilm removal. Aloe Vera reduces inflammation.
- M - Moisture balance - UCS = Allantoin binds moisture to help wounds maintain moisture.
- E - Edge - UCS = Prevents formation of dry crusting cells at wound edge.
- S - Surrounding Skin - UCS = Allantoin softens keratin making hardened skin easier to remove, providing good base for emollient therapy.
How to use UCS™ Debridement
UCS is easy to use: Open the sealed foil packet and unfold the sterile cloth. Taking a small section of the cloth, use a gentle circular (polishing) motion on the skin to remove dry skin plaques. UCS also cleans and moisturises the peri-wound areas without damaging healthy cells. Use both sides of the cloth to lift skin plaques and clean the wound bed. UCS is particularly easy to use in cavities and hard to reach areas, such as between toes.
Note: the cloth is ready to use and needs no additional solution or products to be effective.
- Unique way to clean the leg and wound
- No bucket required
- Save time and improve skincare
UCS assists increased “safe self-care”, meaning patients can be involved in their care-planning, promoting independence at dressing changes and reducing the frequency of nurse visits/appointments due to its simplicity of use.
Users of UCS report:
- Odour reduction
- Improved Self-care
- Cleanses and improves skin conditions with no need to soak
- Safe and simple to use
- Comfortable to use
Don’t just take our word on UCS’s effectiveness, here’s what both clinicians and patients are saying:
- Yvette Pinnock - TVN BCHC:
‘Effective, easy to use’, ‘Fool proof’
- Joanne Terry - TVN BCHC:
‘An effective method of totally cleansing a limb: wound and skin.’
- Amanda Butler - SN Shrewsbury:
‘Effective debridement achieved, and patients are able to tolerate the soft material. It’s so easy and quick to use and I’ve had a lot of success with it.’
- Leanne Chitalo-Davies - TVN BCHC:
‘UCS Debridement is very effective in the removal of hyperkeratosis and dry skin in general. It also aids in the removal of surface slough from the wound bed and is gentle enough for most patients to tolerate. It comes pre moistened, which makes it quick and easy to use. It is cost effective and is a useful tool in helping to manage bacterial burden within the wound.’
- ‘I feel beautifully clean. My legs haven’t felt so clean, ever’ (BB)
- ‘That didn’t hurt at all and look at what’s come off’ (BB)
- ‘Good grief – after all that washing (in a bowl), look what else has come off with one cloth’ (CS)
- ‘My wound is very sore, always has been, but that (sic UCS) was OK.’ (RB)
UCS Debridement is supplied in individual sterile foil packs in boxes of 10. Product code DT500.
UCS™ for Wounds 2 MB
Only a clean wound will go on to heal
Wounds UK 342 KB
The role of surfactants in mechanical debridement - by Trudie Young
Biofilm Based Wound Care (BBWC) 403 KB
Non healing wound