The hospital guardian angel - medical thrombosis prophylaxis stockings (MTPS)
Everyone who has had an operation in hospital knows them: those white hospital stockings – thigh-length and not at all sexy. But they are of course true guardian angels for preventing thromboses and pulmonary embolisms.
However, not all stockings are the same: mediven thrombexin 18 came top of the class in a comparative test* with stockings from other manufacturers. In contrast to medicines, which always contain the same amount of the active substance regardless of who made them, the measurements revealed large differences between the stockings' pressure profiles.
mediven thrombexin 18 achieved the best results!
mediven thrombexin 18 came top of the class with regards to compression pressure and pressure gradient. A great result.
These findings are decisive. Effective thrombosis prophylaxis with medical thrombosis prophylaxis stockings only works, if the physical properties (graduated compression pressure profile along the whole leg) are guaranteed by the material and the manufacturing process. The stockings only work if they achieve the required technically functional safety level.
How a "hospital stocking" works
The return flow of blood to the heart in immobile and bedridden patients slows down due to inactivity.
The stockings do the work of the leg muscle by exerting mechanical pressure to reduce the diameter of the blood vessels and increase the flow rate of the blood. This counteracts the formation of blood clots. The correct pressure gradient – decreasing upward from the ankle to the thigh – is guaranteed.
The "10 stocking commandments" during your hospital stay
Nursing staff bear great responsibility with regard to ensuring the stockings are used correctly on patients. The following ten points give you the prior knowledge to make sure the staff do everything they can for you in terms of thrombosis prophylaxis:
- Have your legs been measured for the stockings before they are put on for the first time?
- Are you measured again when the stockings are changed?
- Do the stockings fit your legs comfortably without any wrinkles?
- Please always wear both stockings!
- Please ask the staff to explain how to put the stockings on.
- The stockings should be changed every two to three days.
- Please wear the stockings 24 hours a day as long as you are confined to bed.
- Please take care of the skin of your legs.
- Please ask the staff to inspect your skin daily.
- Ask your doctor whether there are any reasons why you should not wear medical thrombosis prophylaxis stockings (contraindications).
*(Wegener, Kraft, Kröger u.a.: Biomechanische Charakterisierung von medizinischen Thromboseprophylaxestrümpfen, Gefässchirurgie 2013, 18:278-286.) [Wegener, Kraft, Kröger et al: Biomechanical characterisation of medical thrombosis prophylaxis stockings, Vascular Surgery 2013, 18:278-286]
Information about the venous therapy
Medical anti-embolism stockings
How the blood returns to the heart